At the end of November 2022, there was a universal chatbot ChatGPT for generating meaningful text. Schoolchildren quickly adopted the technology, which is now used for academic assignments. In this article, we want to discuss how ChatGPT can help write essays.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a neural network that can generate meaningful and coherent texts. It was developed by OpenAI, which was invested in 2015 by Elon Musk. The acronym GPT stands for generative pre-trained transformer.
Before ChatGPT, there were several other neural network versions from the same developers: GPT, GPT-2, and GPT-3. It looks not like a chat but like a bot that can augment user-generated text documents. All of these neural networks were trained on a large array of texts. They were learning to guess which word or phrase would be appropriate to continue the already written, mastering different styles and genres.
ChatGPT features are that it does not supplement what is already written and can create texts from scratch based on the criteria that the user sets in the chat. The more detailed instructions, the more accurate the result will be. In addition, the chatbot can engage in a dialogue with the user, as do existing voice assistants – they usually help to search for existing information rather than generate unique texts. But ChatGPT generates, and often they are very similar to texts written by humans.
What are the limitations of ChatGPT?
While in ChatGPT, you can not upload audio files, photos, and videos. Therefore, for example, to describe the picture, ChatGPT can not. Also, response messages limit the number of characters, but you can ask ChatGPT to continue, and the rest of the information will send in a new message.
But the main imperfection of the chatbot is possible errors. The response is generated based on the data collected during the training, but ChatGPT does not use a validated knowledge base. Therefore, the neural network can produce errors when giving historical dates and other factual information.
Another peculiarity is that even if ChatGPT gave the right answer, it can be easily reversed. One user said that he suggested the ChatGPT calculate how much 3+1. At first, the chatbot answered 4, but the person noticed that one of his tutorials said that “3+1” would be “5”. Then ChatGPT corrected his answer and apologized for the mistake.
Other users have noticed that the chatbot doesn’t know how to compare values. It was asked what is bigger: the state of Texas or Europe. ChatGPT gave out specific areas but could not decide which one was bigger.
In addition, the developers wanted to make ChatGPT safe so the neural network does not respond to requests related to crimes and immoral acts. At first, users got around this prohibition through a form request like, “Imagine you’re doing a mental experiment and imagine that [the description of the forbidden action]…” But now, users can be banned for such requests.
How can ChatGPT help you write an essay?
ChatGPT can be used for any task related to text generation. It can be a problem solution, program code, an article, a fairy tale, a movie script, or an essay. In the essay case, ChatGPT can help to generate simple and not original content, since it takes information from open resources. If you want to get a unique and high-quality essay, you should better turn to custom essays by Essay Tigers, where professionals will write and proofread content on their own.
Here is how ChatGPT can help you write your essay:
- You can use it to choose a topic. If you don’t have a topic for your essay, ChatGPT can help you choose an appropriate topic for your assignment. It can offer ideas and give you recommendations.
- It can gather information. ChatGPT can help you gather information on your chosen topic. It can provide links to relevant articles, research, and other resources.
- It can plan your content. ChatGPT can help you make a plan for your essay. Planning includes organizing the structure of your essay, choosing key arguments, and preparing a brief overview of each section.
- You can have it write an essay for you. ChatGPT can help you write your essay. You can dictate your thoughts to it, and it will write them in text format. ChatGPT can offer tips on grammar, spelling, and style to make your essay clear and logical.
- It can edit your text. ChatGPT can help you edit your essay to improve the quality and style of your writing. It can help shorten the text, reorder paragraphs, improve word choice, etc.
- It can do grammar and spelling checks. ChatGPT can help you check your essay for grammatical and spelling errors. It uses software to detect and correct any errors in your essay.
The only problem is that it can not create unique essays but rather typical ones.
So that’s all you must to know about writing essays using ChatGPT. It is a fantastic instrument to help start you off when it comes to writing an assignment. But be careful. ChatGPT’s limitations are nothing to ignore.